Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Hump Day Headlines

Wednesday will be Hump Day Headlines day where I tell you about some interesting articles I read in the past week or so.

Up first: Cruciferous Vegetable to the Rescue!
In this article they discuss a study done concerning the relation between a phytochemical in cruciferous vegetable and its possible potential to kill cancer cells in the body. My mother is a cancer survivor and I like so many people honestly believe that we will find a cure for cancer. Where I differ, though, is that I believe that food can be our medicine. This is not to say that radiation and chemotherapy haven't been able to successfully "heal" people from cancer, but I believe that food has the power to cure us without the toxins and chemicals. This article has offered me and my values a lot of hope. Hint: You can tell if a vegetable is cruciferous by its cross stem such as you find in broccoli, cauliflower, and brussels sprouts.

And... Green Tea Could Inhibit Autoimmune Diseases!
This study shows that there could be a link between green tea and the suppression of autoimmune diseases like Lupus, Celiac disease, and Type 1 Diabetes. Once again we're seeing a way that food can heal us. This study was a bit difficult to read but I urge you to work through it to continue to understand how amazing food can be. it is not only good, but it is so good for you! Instead of having a second cup of coffee why not throw some green tea into your mug?

There was an accidental theme in this week's Hump Day Headlines and that is eat real food. One way I've heard it said is "If it didn't come from the ground or if it didn't have parents don't eat it." Obviously there's room for discussion about free range, organic, vegetarianism, etc. At this point though, I just want to urge people to eat real food. I am not perfect in this arena in any way but I try hard and because of that I get to reap the feel good, energy boosting, disease fighting benefits. I hope you do too.

1 comment:

  1. Food can definitely be healing, but I think it's going to take a mixture of both the right diet and the right homeopathic therapies to really combat these diseases. Either way, I love my cruciferous veggies and green tea! So I'm more than happy to eat more of them in the name of health.

    ReplyDelete